In this project, we were tasked with creating a 2D top-down Shooter game, that contained most elements a game of this nature would have. This included animations, pickups, different enemy types and documentation regarding the project. Please note this was for a first-year project, with little prior coding knowledge/history.
As this was our first proper game we were making we were given some basic tutorials to follow along with to get a good template for our game. This involved using 3rd party graphical assets and some basic movement and behaviours for the player and enemies. Our goal was to implement ways to make the game better, by adding functionality and enjoyability to the game.
After completing all of the tutorials I started by creating my GDD so that I knew exactly what it was I was going to create, whether I would stick with the zombie theme, or if I would choose something else. I was also able to create a little nonsensical story for the game, during the production of the GDD.
I then started to make my own graphical assets (which can be seen in the video above). I used the Pen tool in Photoshop to create a nice outline for each graphic and then filled them with colour and used the burn and dodge tool on the main character (during a shooting animation, seen below) to make it seem like his face was lighting up from the muzzle flash of a gunshot.
As I hadn’t started to assemble any of the levels yet, I decided it would be a smart idea to create tile-maps for the game (seen below) so that it would take less time to create the assets, and I could have creative reign over my level design later on (quickly, and easily,if I wanted to change anything).
For the sound assets, I mainly used third-party assets for music and a for a few other things like the gunshot noise. I created the enemy noises myself by moaning like a zombie into a microphone and editing the sound in Audacity.
During the process of making the assets, I was busy trying to assemble some scripts for different things to affect enemy health, player health, movement speeds and pickups. During this process, I learnt about the PlayerPrefs functionality in Unity and immediately knew this was how I was going to implement my “survival” aspect of the game. As you go through the game you pick up certain supplies like water and food. At the end of the game based on all of the supplies you collected, you will be given a number of days you would survive the zombie apocalypse. I found this feature really fun to make and felt proud to have used something to my own initiative, to enhance the game.
The last pieces of the project come down to developer blogs and version controlling the work you’ve created. To effectively version control I used BitBucket to create a repository and would upload any major changes, making sure to give the version suitable notation. This actually saved my project at one point as my Memory Stick corrupted!
To document my developer blogs I used WordPress to detail what I had been working on and how I had handled any issues that had popped up. This was very useful to write down, as it reminded me of techniques I had used, and allowed them to embed further. This also allowed me to look back on things I had previously done so I could tell exactly where I was, and what I was doing next.
Overall I feel that this project could have become much more, but for the first game to be created by me, I think it turned out pretty good.